Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Ethnicity


With his mother being Afro-Jamaican, and his father being white, Bob Marley never understood his racial ethnicity. He came to realize that he was neither black nor white and it really didn’t matter to him. He said he wasn’t prejudice. He has been quoted saying, “I don’t have prejudice against myself. My father was white and my mother was black. They call me half castle or whatever. I don’t take nobody’s side. I don’t take the black man’s side or the white man’s side. I take God’s side. The one who created me and caused me to come from black and white.” Marley later identified himself as Black African. He tried sending messages through his music. He talked about the struggles of African people. Bob saw Africa as a Utopia. In his song “Africa Unite” he says, “How good and how pleasant it would be, before God and man, yeahh, to see the unifications of all Africans, yeahh!” He expressed his support for the African community through his music and actions in politics as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment